Wednesday, October 27, 2010

KICK IT UP A NOTCH.....

Unfortunately, I needed sympathy cards for 2 family members at the same time recently. It just so happened that the theme for the months Litlle Debbie swap was "Sympathy Cards". So, I guess I got 3 birds with one design. This was my first attempt:


Now, while this was a perfectly good card --- clean and simple --- I could not help but think something else was needed. So, to add some texture, I tore the edges of the Chocolate Chip layer. I also stamped the small flower from the same stamp set using Versamark on the background (Crumble Cake/Kraft) layer. You can't really tell from my "amazing" pictures, but on the second one, while I still colored the bloom in Marina Mist, I thumped it with the Night of Navy marker to give it a little more depth. The stamp set is the Level 1 Hostess Set Because I Care. What a gorgeous image, don't you think? The coloring was done directly on the stamp with my SU! markers and stamped onto Whisper White cardstock. After wrapping that layer with a piece of Marina Mist ribbon, I layered it onto the Chocolate Chip and then onto the Crumb Cake base. Here is the second card, with all of those changes:


Those few small changes really made a difference, didn't they? But it still kept the card simple (something I think is important when it comes to sympathy cards --- that "calming" colors) and flat enough to mail without padding and extra postage.

Thanks for stopping by and have a great day!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. I love this card and love that you turned the stamp on its side - I didn't think to do that! Loved this swap card and the changes you made really are great!

    ReplyDelete